Private Pesticide Applicator Re-certification Workshops
Jan 22, 2019
If you need to renew your Private Pesticide Applicator certification, you can do so by attending one of the upcoming recertification workshops sponsored by University of MN Extension. These workshops offer a great opportunity to review regulations and safety issues related to pesticide application, as well as provide you with the latest University research on integrated pest management.
You need to renew your private pesticide applicator certification in 2019 if you:
- Apply pesticides to land or sites you own, rent or lease for the production of agriculture commodities and
- Plan to use Restricted Use Pesticides and
- Reside in the state of Minnesota and
- Your certification expires in 2019
Recertification workshops scheduled near our area include:
- Paynesville, January 22 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – American Legion Post 271
- Hamburg, January 29 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Hamburg Community Center
- Hutchinson, January 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Hutchinson Event Center
- Lafayette, February 1 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Lafayette Community Center
- Little Falls, February 4 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. – Initiative Foundation Building
- Sleepy Eye, February 6 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Sleepy Eye Event Center
- LeSueur, February 6 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Ag Partners
- Renville, February 7 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.- Renville Community Center
- Montevideo, February 8 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – American Legion
- Cold Spring, February 8 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Riverside Inn
- Willmar, February 11 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.–Kandiyohi Co. Health & Human Services Bldg
- Buffalo, February 12 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Wright County Government Center
- Holdingford, February 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. – Holdingford City Hall
- Jordan, February 21 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – SCALE Regional Training Facility
- Olivia, February 25 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Renville County Government Services Center
- Foley, February 27 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Henry’s Catering
- North Mankato, February 28 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. – South Central College Conference Center
For a complete listing of workshops offered throughout the state, check the U of MN Pesticide Safety and Environmental Education website http://z.umn.edu/ppatprogram or call the Farm Information Line at 1-800-232-9077. In case of inclement weather, please check these sources for any weather-related updates.
Workshop topics will include:
- Pesticide Laws and Regulations
- Transportation, Storage and Emergencies
- Herbicide Residuals and Cover Crops
- Laundering Pesticide-Contaminated Clothing
- Current Crop and Pest Issues and Integrated Pest Management
Registration for the recertification workshops will be taken at the door and no pre-registration is required. Anyone attending a workshop for recertification must bring a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport. Bringing your Private Pesticide Applicator Certification Card will assist in the registration process as well.
Attending a recertification workshop renews your certification for 3 years. Please note you must attend the entire workshop to meet recertification requirements.
For those who are unable to attend a workshop or would rather retest for recertification, two other options exist. You may either complete the test as a home study course (books and tests available at most County Extension Offices) or you may complete the test on-line at http://www.pat.umn.edu.
The cost to recertify, either by attending a recertification workshop or retesting, is $75. A farmer who is not currently certified (i.e. becoming certified for the first time or their certification expired in 2018 or earlier) is required to first take the test to become certified.
Note these workshops are separate from the additional training required for certified applicators who wish to apply dicamba formulations onto dicamba-tolerant soybeans in 2019. Applicators that need the dicamba herbicide training will need to check with their pesticide retailer or visit the Minnesota Crop Production Retailers Association website at https://mcpr-cca.org/dicamba-information-trainings/ for more information regarding these sessions.